Thursday, April 9, 2020

I'm almost ready to teach (again)!

Good morning!  It's Thursday, April 9 and "school" officially starts again on Monday.  Yes, I do plan to teach you some new things.  No, we won't be doing meaningless projects.  I'm still not 100% sure what I will be teaching, but here are some ideas:

  • The difference between a drill and a driver and how to use them.
  • Different kinds of fasteners.
  • Basic home inspection and repair.
  • How to select and use wrenches.
  • How to use various measuring tools.
The list goes on...  If there's something you'd like to learn about, tell me and I'll put it on the top of the list!  If you're first to make a suggestion, you can also include the style you'd like me to teach in (wardrobe, accent, background, etc.)

If you want to see what "class" will look like, go to your Schoology page and look in the "Distance Learning" folder.  There's an intro page with a video.  I'll have a more comprehensive run-down on Monday showing you how to do everything.  (I still have to figure it out for myself!)

Some of you have been overwhelmed by the number of messages I've sent out, so here's what I'm going to try for communication.
  • Remind messages will only go out when there's an important message.  (Unless I have not connected with you, in which case, I will continue to message from you until you respond.)
  • E-mails will go out once a week to highlight new material or changes.
  • The newly redesigned web page will be static (other than addition of new topics as I develop them).  This is your go-to for skills, activities and projects.  My assignments will be menu-driven.  Pick something applicable to you and do it!
  • I'll use Instagram to showcase your work and random content from me.  Send me pictures of your work and I'll post it.  If you post on your Instagram, be sure to tag @RHSWoodshop!
  • I have a Twitter account.  I haven't been good about posting to that.  Maybe I'll set Instagram up to cross post.
  • I still have a Facebook account, mainly to maintain my cringe factor for the younger generation.  People still look at it.  Really, they do!
Here's my plan for today:
  • Make two skill lessons.  Probably drills and screwdrivers-- something simple.
  • Post reading material and assignments for students who want to get a couple of assignments out of the way.
  • Call the people I haven't heard from yet.
  • Finish boring a hole under my driveway so I can get water to my garden.
I'm currently listening to John Cougar Mellencamp on Pandora for anybody needing a musical nudge.

Have an excellent day!

No comments:

Post a Comment